Re: [TowerTalk] Rebuilding a TH-3, advice sought.

To: "k3hx@juno.com" <k3hx@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rebuilding a TH-3, advice sought.
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 07:52:32 -0400
Hi Tim,

Despite what the nay sayers might opine, I applied a good rubbing of  steel
wool on my TH-3 before putting it up in 1992, with absolutely no fanfare...

What troubles me reading your post, though---and which was not alluded to by
other respondants---was the fact that some of your elements there have
"...bumps of white powder on them". That is a sure sign of trouble, indicating
that the aluminum has effectively "rusted," if you will, in those areas.

That is NOT good, and a sure sign of a weak link(s) in your set-up.

How extensive is this "powder" / oxidation...? Has it left deep pits / holes in
the aluminum below...?

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ