[TowerTalk] Inverted Vee

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vee
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:03:41 -0700 (PDT)
I propose to tie an inverted vee dipole pretty close to the top of a quite tall
tower. I am convinced of the need for a good balun.

Is there any advantage to electrically connecting the outer of the coax to the
tower immediately before the balun? I don't think it would matter either way
from a radio point of view, but wonder whether it might be better (or worse)
for lightning?

There are other antennas on the same tower, so I may have to detune the dipole
when not in use. The loss in the feedline will be pretty small, so I think I
can do the detuning at the base of the tower??

Would appreciate comments.

73 Roger
VE3ZI