Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vee

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vee
From: K8RI on TT <>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:44:17 -0400
On 8/3/2011 12:50 PM, John F. wrote:
> Roger.....
> As you know, an inverted vee for a given freq is a balanced antenna with
> essentially equal current and voltage on both legs.  Grounding one leg
> at or near the feedpoint will destroy that balance.  Depending on the
> height and freq, it will be omni-directional or directional broadside to
> the legs.  The angle of radiation is also dependent upon the height/freq
> and angle between the legs (ideally a minimum of 110 degrees).
> Using a balun ( I assume 1:1/ choke type) may or may not be beneficial,

I run current baluns on almost everything now days and the feedlines
have their shields grounded to the tower top and bottom.  With an
inverted V the ground is quite close to the choke and the antenna
connects to the current balun within just a few inches.  The baluns are
designed using Jim Brown's tutorial (watch out for line wrap.)

BTW for the center fed, sloping, fan dipole on 75, I have one choke
balun at the feed point and one where the feed line reaches the tower.
I've not run into any apparent problems.

Roger (K8RI)