Re: [TowerTalk] stress in guy wires

To: towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stress in guy wires
From: Steve Maki <>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:10:14 -0400
On 8/16/2011 3:43 PM, wrote:

> I measured ~.75 s on my 100 feet 5/16" steel guy wires (56.6 lb/250 feet)
> which indicates 500 lb. Reasonable?

Pulse counting is an accepted method of measuring guy tension as long as
there are no guy wire appurtenances like insulators.

I have a nice spreadsheet created for EHS wires by Charlie Tomlinson a
few years ago. It agrees pretty well with what you figured.

It's generally recommended that you time 10 pulses (if you can) to get
an average. If the wire is loose you can't get 10 good ones, so you do 5
or whatever. 10 is no problem if the wire is close to being tensioned

-Steve K8LX