Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Tuner

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Tuner
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 06:40:41 -0700
On 8/20/11 7:01 PM, K8RI on TT wrote:
> Most of the tuners I see today use a 4:1 Balun to go from unbalanced to
> balanced.
> For a remote tuner wouldn't it make more sense and be more efficient to
> use  a tapped coil, probably in a "T" arrangement and no balun to the
> open wire?
> IOW run the coax up the tower to the remote tuner. Tap the coax across a
> coil (rotary inductor) and use variable L and C to get a match to the
> balanced line?

With a choke on the coax before the tuner, whether the tuner is balanced
or unbalanced really makes no difference.  Sure the internal circuit
might have different parasitic C to the box on one side or another, but
so does the antenna most likely.

It's really a two terminals in, two terminals out black box.