[TowerTalk] Ground Rod Through Basement Floor

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Through Basement Floor
From: "Stan Rowe" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:45:26 -0400
I'm looking for some advice from those who know or have experience with
getting a good ground in a basement ham shack.  My basement shack is located
about 80 feet away from access to the outside so I am considering putting a
ground rod through the basement floor about 8 feet from the back of the
radios.  I'm concerned about whether that will give me an adequate RF
ground.  Also I wouldn't be able to easily tie the new rod to the house
ground without a long run.   I'm also concerned about sealing around the new
ground rod so that I don't have to worry about water leakage up through the
basement floor though I think the likelihood of that is pretty small since
the house is basically built on a sand hill and drainage is good.  What is
the best way to seal around the rod?

What advice or experiences can you share?

Thanks for your help.

Stan - K6VWE