Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Duty Rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heavy Duty Rotor
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:08:17 -0700
On 9/6/11 12:09 PM, Bill Gaines AD8P wrote:
> Our local club is looking for a very heavy duty rotor that will fit inside
> Rohn 45. It needs to turn a very large 3 el 40 and 6 el 20 on the same boom.
> What is out there in cyber space?
>
> Bill AD8P

M2 and Alfa-Spid both have rotors in the 3000 in-lb torque area.  Not as
much as a prop pitch, I suspect, but pretty large all the same.

Bringing up an interesting question.. Some day, all those prop pitch
motors will die (or it will be 2050, and 100 year old Kurt will have
retired).  There's also the "replacement if damaged" scenario, always
tricky when you've used some sort of surplus that's 60 years old as the
basis for your widget.  I can see all sorts of calamities that could
destroy a rotor beyond repair.

So, what do people today use for turning those big TCI LPDAs, for
instance?  Does TCI manufacture rotors or do they buy from someone else?

I imagine one could just order an off the shelf gear motor of the
appropriate ratings. It would be expensive (probably more than $1000),
but it would be a standard component with standard fittings, so if you
had to replace it, it's just a trip to your local motor dealer to buy a
replacement NEMA flange motor or gear box.