Re: [TowerTalk] New Conduits

To: 'K8RI on TT' <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Conduits
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:02:20 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of K8RI on TT
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:20 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com

For low bands and particularly 160 and 75 I much prefer UHF connectors. N do
not do well when running the legal limit into a high SWR. I've also lost a few
due to thunderstorms, but nary a single UHF.

It's interesting that you should mention that.  At the lake QTH, where there is
currently a mish mash of sub optimal antennas, I had started using crimp on N
connectors with LMR400.  I run a legal limit amp there.  The ground mounted
HF6V started acting up and I traced the problem to an N connector that looked
like it had arced over.  The SWR bandwidth of the HF6V on 80m is very narrow,
and I had probably tried operating too far away from the center point.

On one of the antenna feedlines with UHF connectors, I had a similar problem.
In that case, however, it wasn't the connector that arced over but a cheap
barrel connector with bakelite insulation.

Al
AB2ZY