[TowerTalk] T-bars (capacity hats) was: Re: Aluminum tubing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] T-bars (capacity hats) was: Re: Aluminum tubing
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 02:27:24 -0700
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 07:41:46 -0400
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
insert overlap...

About T-bars -- does anyone else remember pictures of Sigma 80 yagis
broken at the junction between the T-bars and the elements?  I think I
recall one station where all 4 broke (on a 2-element).

73, Pete N4ZR

##  This is new to me. What actually broke ?   The T bars are nothing more than
a 10 M  ele  on the shortest Sigma. EF-180S, 54'  long els.
was in wind damage, or ice loading, or both ?

##  I recently rebuilt  my F-12   EF-180B... [ 68'  long and alumo weld LL
wires]... and tossed the Al  LL  wires.
They were replaced  with 17.5'  long T bars... that are triple walled in the
exact middle..then double walled beyond that.
 It uses  3/8"  tips , then 1/2", then 5/8",then 3/4" in the middle of each T
bar.    To attach them to the 2"  main trunk section,
 I used some old Wilson  boom to ele clamps  from my old 5-el  10M yagi... from
1977.   These are NOT the clamshell types, virtually identical to the hy-gain
ones.
These are the original  types, that are cast in one piece.  They completely
wrap around the 2"  boom..and are pinched tight
with a pair of 1/4-20 SS  bolts.   The  top of the circumference has a cast
flat plate on top.  The 10m ele  drops right down on top
and held on with a pair of U bolts  [ no saddles].    I simply  used new tubing
to make each T bar... and also used DX eng
saddle clamps and SS  U bolts to attach each T bar  to the flat plate.   The
original wilson 10m els were 3/4" OD in the middle..so to get
everything to fit right, I triple walled the exact center  with a short length
of 3/4"  tubing.

##  The Old  Wilson clamps  can be mounted  right side up..or upside down.
Sure,  a flat plate  + 4 x u bolts could have been used, but the
original Wilson  'far out clamps'  will no way slip on  the 2"  boom, not in a
million years.   You won't break one either.   It's  abt the only thing they
ever
did build correctly..then like bozo's.... switched to the ill conceived  hy
-gain style clam shell boom to ele clamp assy's.    Another option is to use the
F-12 ele  to boom style  brackets, that in this case are riveted to the 2" main
trunk section..then hang the T bar from it.

##  Since the main trunk section of the F-12 EF-180B  is  2" OD.... the  Wilson
clamp was the cheap and easy way to quickly mount  the
T bars.   Just beyond the T bars is the solid fiberglass insulators... which
are 1".   That's all heavy wall tubing on both sides of the insulator's too.
Either a shorting strap, made from AL strap is placed across  each
insulator..OR the oem insulators are removed..and replaced with 1"  heavy wall
AL tubing.
A single  5/16"  dacron rope supports each ele half.   The remaining loading is
done via  the compressible coils from  Seco systems.  Coils are 1/4"
CU tubing..and motor driven..and located right at the feedpoint.  A 5 turn
helical hair pin does the matching.

I have seen pix of the F-12 Sigma 180-B  T bar to ele assy, and it looks very
robust to me.  In fact, it looks extremely strong. How the heck can it break ?
I'm talking abt the 54'  long sigma..which came in either a 80m rotary dipole
or 2 -el version.  They also made a longer one..using 76' els..and even longer
T bars.
I hate using just U bolts and no mating saddles...so opt for the DX eng  style
saddle clamps..which consist of a SS u bolts  with a longer thread, plus mating
cast AL saddles.

later... Jim  VE7RF