Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Antennas

To: "David J. Sourdis - HK1A" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Antennas
From: "Pete Raymond" <n4kwpete@centurylink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 22:47:49 -0400
W2PV's "Yagi Antenna Design" was published back in the early 1980 before
Yagi modeling programs were available to hams and it was considered the
bible of Yagi antennas by many.
The book does not really address the merits of either method of Yagi
construction.  There is a brief paragraph regarding the driven element and
current on the boom basically due do to an unbalanced feed system as
compared to a balanced feed system.  There is a section called
Boom and element clamping correction, but that information is not nearly as
accurate as can be obtained with today's software using NEC4.  Yagi
Optimizer by Brian Beezley calculates for the equivalent cylinder and it is
used in the tapper schedule for the total element length based on the
element mounting system and element diameters.

I was wondering if it was possible to see a difference in performance
between two Yagi's one with insulated elements and one with grounded
elements.  I also wonder if one type would have a lower noise floor when
compared to the other etc etc.  My gut feeling is that the grounded elements
and a T-match driven element might be quieter but I have no real way of
telling for sure.

73 Pete N4KW