[TowerTalk] Tri Ex mast sleeve

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ka1lmr@yahoo.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tri Ex mast sleeve
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 14:18:27 -0400 (EDT)
Chris,

The Tri-EX mast sleeve is designed for 2" tubing (OD= 2.0", don't confuse
pipe sizes which generally describe the ID of the pipe.  1-1/2" Pipe OD
measures slightly under 2" dia. and a little sloppy in the Tri-Ex sleeve.   I
have made stainless steel shims to fill the gap. (roll flat stock into a
circle).  With lubrication the sleeve will act as a bearing, but it can  easily
bind depending on mast length, centering and wind speed.  Replace  the
locking bolt on the sleeve with a Zerx fitting to simplify  lubrication.  It is
also a good idea to make a grease seal at the bottom of  the sleeve - a
piece of leather belting and a hose clamp is a simple  method.

Just remember plumbing pipe does not have the strength of quality 2" mast
material.

Regards,
Norm W4QN

In a message dated 10/11/2011 11:03:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Message:  4