Re: [TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PIPE ANCHORS
From: Vincent Weal <k4jc@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:00:25 -0400
The problem with digging holes in sand is that you can't get a nice formed
hole. As you dig the soil keeps falling back in, so the hole actually has
to be made 2 or 3 times wider than you need in order to get the proper
depth. Then I will have to build wooden forms for the concrete, place them
in the holes, fill with concrete, then backfill. I could probably make the
forms 36" high instead of 18", but I would like as much backfill on top of
them as possible. Thankfully I have a friendly neighbor with a backhoe. And
yes, the guys would pull through mostly undisturbed soil (remember the
extra wide hole originally dug?) Another thing to note is that my water
table is normally only about 3' down so this is VERY WET sand we're talking
about.