[TowerTalk] Fwd: Guying a Universal Aluminum Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Guying a Universal Aluminum Tower
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:57:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi Dennis,

Here is how I guyed my Height's Al tower.
_http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150198503693539.328964.579753538&type=1&l=1c649b80ab_

(http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150198503693539.328964.579753538&type=1&l=1c
649b80ab)

I know there are a lot of pictures but in one of them you see a square,
black plate with the guy wires attached. (I use four guys as it is less
critical  where they are anchored.) The plate has three holes, one for each
leg.
It is  inserted between two of the sections. The holes are just big enough to
let the  tapered part of the higher through and is resting on the lower
section. By  adding guy wires the survival improved from 80 mhp wind to 130 mph
wind (by my  calculations, which may not be correct).

I got the advice from Universal Towers to wrap the guy wire around a cross
section (if using three wires) so you don't pull the tower apart. In my
case I  spread the force from the wire to all three legs with the plate.

Good luck with you tower.

Hans - N2JFS

In a message dated 11/18/2011 10:22:39 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,