Re: [TowerTalk] preformed gripsTo

To: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] preformed gripsTo
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:36:22 -0800
Having pulled a number of permits in Santa Clara County, CA over the
last 20 years:

0. If you ask SCC, "do I need a permit for xyz?",  they will find a
permit to charge you for, no matter how small, trivial, or never before
on the permit schedule.
1. DIY is allowed, you sign the application saying so, BUT you still
must follow the codes.  Some work (e.g. septic) is only allowed by
specifically approved contractors, only they can pick up the permit.
2. Inspectors didn't ask me who did the work I did, probably because it
"looked right", conformed to codes, and only minor corrections were needed.
3. Big projects did cause other upgrades to codes.  For instance, do a
structural engineering review and bring up to current in an area being
remodeled.  In a commercial structure, these upgrades are a given.
4. The most egregious was - inspect/pump the septic on property A in
order to get a septic permit on property B (A&B a mile apart!)
5. All new work is always to latest codes even though there might be
knob and tube wiring in the rest (residential) as I had.  The
application date for the permit sets the date for codes that are applicable.
6. If new work is not to code and causes a problem and the insurance
company determines it as the cause, I think you are on very thin ice.
7. If codes are followed in no permit pulled work, I don't think there
is much the insurance company can object to.

YMMV.

Grant KZ1W