[TowerTalk] SSV How-To

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] SSV How-To
From: Rick Kunze <rick@colusanet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:28:53 -0800
I'm brand new to this list, having just now joined.  I've been
reading through the archives and felt compelled to share an
experience.  Oh, and I'm a new ham too!

I run a small ISP business that I started around 1995 as I retired
the old BBS.  (Hope I didn't lose you there.)

Around 2000 or so, Internet access was rapidly going beyond wireline
DSL, and so after ruling out using a local mountain top, I embarked
on erecting my own infrastructure.  To start with, for the center
"hub" so to speak, I put up a 152' Rohn SSV here in my parking lot
next to my shop.  Sections 11N, 10NH, 9NH, 8N, 7N, 6NST, 6NST,
6NB.  Seventy two yards of concrete.  This completed in January 2001
I think.  Having been an old 11 meter experimenter if yesteryear, I
always wanted to get my amateur license which I finally did in April
this year . . . . and then it hit me; I always dreamed of having a
big tower!  All I've got up there besides Internet and cell phone
stuff is a 2 meter omni, but I'm getting ready to put a "hat" on
it.  <maniacal laughter>

My point is that I documented the whole
project.  www.doityourselftower.com  Listed on that site are the
specific documents where one can read all the necessary legal
requirements and engineering practices.  I had to spend a few hundred
bucks just on those documents/books.  It all had another side too,
that web site project gets me invited to speak at the FCC regarding
Wireless Broadband issues, just about any time I want to go.  Another
one coming up too.

So if I can help answer any of these questions, I've got all the
drawings, and did all the work other than the official California
stamped engineering, and the backhoe.  I can't make copies, but I can
share experience.  I was in WAY over my head but learned a LOT.  It
was a great experience.  I had some fun too.

This is how it's done if you have to do it legally, right between two
runs of power lines.  Your mileage may very!  And I'm going on 59 and
climb all kinds of towers regularly.  <shrug>

Hope this helps.

Rk

P.S. I still have that J-bolt fixture if anyone wants it!