[TowerTalk] Ham IV Rotor Motor Voltage Boost ? (Sluggish rotation)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ham IV Rotor Motor Voltage Boost ? (Sluggish rotation)
From: Doug Snowden <dougn4ij@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:33:10 -0600
Seen a few posts about putting the moor capacitor next to the rotor,
rather than in the control unit in order to
enable better turning (less slugishness).  I have a problem in getting
the antenna to turn.  I substituted a section of cable from the base
of the tower, and, indeed the antenna turns ok.  So it is dig up the
buried cable, and replace, or figure out how to jack the voltage up
several volts to the rotor.  Ideas on an easy way to increase the
voltage? another xfmr and a rheostat?  Seems like I should be able to
measure the series resistance to get an idea of how much to increase
the voltage.

Doug, N4IJ