Re: [TowerTalk] 10M phased verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10M phased verticals
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:37:51 -0500
On 11/29/2011 1:06 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> You ask "is it worth it to make a 4 square array of 5/8 wave
> verticals?"
>
> First we need to determine if it is POSSIBLE to do that.
> I've never seen a published example of that, and my gut
> feel tells me it isn't practical.  4 square
> arrays use 1/4 wave verticals.  You can extend the analogy
> to 1/2 wave vertical dipoles fed in their centers with baluns.
> But I don't see how 5/8 wave verticals fed at the bottom
> would work that way, and it isn't clear what the optimum
> spacing should be.

I don't know what "optimum" spacing would be, or even if it is necessary
to adjust the spacing  but as all elements are active I would think it
would
  work for any lengths between short, loaded verticals all the way up to
5/8 wave length verticals.  Not just for a 4 square either. A series of
verticals in a line, two parallel lines, or a matrix of even 9 elements
theoretically would work just fine.

I'd bet that such arrays actually exist ... some where.

73

Roger (K8RI)