Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup towers

To: "Dan Hearn" <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crankup towers
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:52:05 -0800
Dan Hearn wrote:
> I have several UST crankup towers. As they extend, all sections extend
> proportionally. Do some other brands of towers extend each section
> completely before the next section extends? That would sure make it easier
> to access the rotor for replacement.
>
> --
> Dan Hearn
> N5AR

That sure would be nice.  I think it is a safe bet to say
that if it were practical to do that, we would already see
towers being made that way.  I have seen some military tubular
masts that work that way, but the cabling is very complicated
and not conducive to holding a lot of weight.

UST told me it was OK to extend my 106 foot tower to the necessary
50 feet or so to access the rotor.  Of course you want to have
the bottom section resting on timbers, rather than being supported
by the tilt over winch.  At first it seemed dicey to have all
that tower cantilevered out, but I've done it a few times without
incident.

Rick N6RK

Rick N6RK