Re: [TowerTalk] Force required on guys to cause catastrophic failure? Ha

To: <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force required on guys to cause catastrophic failure? Have your guys been struck by falling limbs?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 11:29:29 -0500
Fortunately, my tower is located such that tree limbs aren't likely to fall
on it. However, a friend of mine has a tower located on about 1/2 acre of
cleared land bordered by woods. A number of years ago, during a particularly
bad storm in which the ground got soaked and the winds were high brisk, a
birch tree pulled out by the roots and fell on one of the top tower guys. I
can't give you exact answers to some of your questions, but here goes:

What size/weight of limb hit the guy?

I don't know exactly, but I'd say the birch tree was about 30-40 feet high
and at least 8-10 inches in diameter. It struck the guy near the bottom of
the spray of branches at the top of the tree, probably around the 25-30 foot
level of the tree. As I recall, one of the larger branches of the tree hit
the guy, not the trunk of the tree. The branch was at least 5-6 inches in
diameter. I think the guy actually dug partway into the branch.

What was the tower configuration (height, type, and guy material)?

100' of Rohn 45. 3/16" EHS guys broken up into non-resonant sections with
insulators.

Which guy got struck?

One of the top guys. The tree landed on it about 2/3-3/4 of the way down the
guy.

How far did the limb fall?

See dimensions above. I'd say 30 feet at least, probably more. Much of the
weight of the tree was on the guy.

What was the result?  Damage or no damage?

The guy did not break, nor did the tower buckle. The guy was pulled down
considerably from its previously near-straight run. We used a chainsaw to
carefully cut the branch and roll the tree off the guy. The guy sprung back
towards its original position, but was noticeably slack (i.e., the guy
stretched.) We tightened it as best we could. My vague recollection is that
we had to tighten the other guys a little, too. So they probably stretched a
little. Not long after, we replaced the slack guy with a new one. This
required installing a temporary guy while the damaged guy was removed. The
job was easier than I expected.

Hard to generalize an event like this. YMMV, as they say. You'll probably be
best off to take down as many trees near the tower as possible, or at least
remove the limbs most likely to come down on guys.

73, Dick WC1M