Re: [TowerTalk] guys vs falling limbs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guys vs falling limbs
From: w8zn@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 17:23:35 +0000 (UTC)
I live on a small mountain outside D.C. and it is HEAVILY wooded. Just this
spring I came home to find my 70ft tower laying across my roof. A 90 ft tree
that seemed to be in perfect condition fell and took out my guys. I am now
putting up a new tower and have adopted the "scorched earth" philosiphy. If it
looks like it could even come close to my guys or tower, it's chain saw time.
It takes too much time and money to have a tower and have it taken out by
trees/limbs. If you even have to think about the choice between tower or tree,
I suggest you find a different hobby or put up wire antennas. BTW, in 2003 I
lost another tower by THREE trees falling on guys as a result of hurricane
Isabel that came up the coast. Where's Paul Bunyon when you need him!!

Terry Price - W8ZN  ex K8ISK
FM18dv - 1.8MHz thru 47GHz
K8GP - The Grid Pirates - FM19bb