Re: [TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?
From: Michael OBrien <>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:16:01 -0800 (PST)
--- On Fri, 12/2/11, <> wrote:

"...I highly recommend NOT having it stop at the same spot every time. Vary the
resting spot (up and down)..."

Shortly after I purchased and installed my HDX-555 back in the 1990s, I
innocently called U.S. Tower and asked to speak with someone who could answer
my question about this very topic. Amazingly, I was connected to an engineer!
(Probably wouldn't happen today.) As Steve recommends, the UST engineer advised
that I stop the tower at varying spots when raising it to avoid having the
cable "take a set."

I did not ask about, and he didn't volunteer, similar advice regarding when the
tower is lowered. I always lower the tower all the way and then slacken the
cable some extra in order to remove stress. I may have to rethink that now, but
it's always seemed like the sensible thing to do.

Mike, K0MYW