[TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which type of cable for a crank-up tower?
From: "Jim Thomson" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 07:08:11 -0800
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 13:10:41 -0700
From: "VE6WZ_Steve" <>

I suppose my problem was that my tower is going up and down twice a day
about 5 days a week ( I always leave my tower nested) so the wire rope is
rolling over the sheaves all the time, and its was not obvious what the
difference is if it stops on a sheave.

My desire is not to be "nit-picky" here, but I own one of these and I don't
want a failure.
The practicality of stopping the tower up, and down, in a different spot all
the time is a bit challenging to say the least for me (twice a day, 5 days a
I suppose I'm also somewhat confounded about why, if this were a problem, US
tower would build these units with limit switches on the winches that force
a stop in the same place all the time.

de steve ve6wz

###  The 'easy' method would be to hit the  'up'  switch..and run it to the top.
Then when it hits the upper limit switch, it stops.  Then manually  drop it say
then stop it.   Same deal when lowering,  drop it fully nested... then raise it
If doing all this from inside the shack, the ust box  will tell you when it's
fully extended or
nested. [leds]. Then just hit the down switch for maybe a few secs.  You could
the procedure a bit, and stop it somewhere between 89'..and say 86'.  And the
spread when nested.

Jim  VE7RF