Re: [TowerTalk] weird coax

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weird coax
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 23:28:18 -0500
>   This  stuff is
> definitely intentionally lossy, the center conductor is very high resistance
> material like nichrome and only 26-28ga.

I am trying to understand why lossy wire would be wanted.

One use for coax delay lines, was oscilloscopes, so you could see the
part of the waveform it was triggering on.  Lossy line would result in
frequency dependent losses, which I'd think would be undesirable.

I see how lossy might be a consequence of the very thin wire needed to
get an unusually high Zo, but not why someone would want to make it
lossy.

Can anyone explain it to me?

If you measured the Zo, that might be a step in the right direction to
identify this coax.

Andy