[TowerTalk] Grouting a New Tower?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grouting a New Tower?
From: "Jim Thomson" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:09:04 -0800
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:23:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grouting a New Tower?

>  I recently put up a US Tower HDX-589 crank-up.  UST  recommends grouting
the space between the base plate and the top of the  foundation block.  I
have purchased the proper non-shrink construction  grout and am getting
to do the job.  But I'm concerned because I  used this stuff to patch my
house foundation before, and it sets up so  quickly I'm not sure how much I
should mix up at a  time.

I haven't seen any that set up THAT fast.  There's plenty of time in my
    You have to mix it pretty stiff so that it doesn't  run; e.g. the
consistency of plastic. The fully cured strength looks like  over 10 kpsi so
plenty strong enough.
Steve    K7LXC

## What he used on his house was probably not grout at all, and most likely
hydraulic cement, which will  set up in just a few minutes.  H-cement works
for patching concrete foundations on houses, and is typ 8 ksi.

##  as far as relying on grout to provide additional load bearing  strength.
Imo, if you
have to rely on grout to provide extra strength, the steel base was never
correctly to begin with.  UST sez.... " grout beneath base plate after tower is
This is on a HDX-689.   They don't say if that's the entire underside of the
560 lb, 1" thick steel plate or just the perimeter.  The plate is huge, like
52" on a  side.
I bought mine used, and the previous owner had used grout just around the
of the triangular plate.  Grout isn't that strong.  It was pretty easy to
remove it.  Just
a chisel and hammer.  If that was H-cement instead, you would have a helluva
time getting
it out.   Grout may well have lot's  of compressive strength, but it doesn't
have much
tensile strength.

## If grout is used,  you better make sure  the tower is perfectly plumb..and
that all the nuts
are tightened correctly. You can't re-level ,or  even tighten the top nuts,
once grout is applied...
since you no longer have access to the nuts below the tower !

Later... Jim  VE7RF