Re: [TowerTalk] Rotatorplate

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotatorplate
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:30:45 +0000
On 17/12/2011 18:05, K8RI wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 12:06 PM, Paul_group wrote:

>> coastal area where masts do tend to be laid over for fairly extended
>> periods makes a difference, YMMV but I advise an additional cover in
> I'd agree for "extended periods". the rotator shaft is high carbon steel
> and rusts easily, so if exposed to the elements for a prolonged period
> they certainly would rust.
> I pack that area full of white Lithium grease and would suggest a zerk
> or several small zerks be added to the cover plate so that area could be
> easily  filled with a grease that would keep moisture out and stand up
> to the elements.

Yes agreed that would be worthwhile - its impossible to get enough
grease in there to stop it washing out eventually. There is a dead patch
of grass in the field under mine ;-)

> That top seal is the only part of the design I don't like. "Most" of the
> parts are readily obtainable at your local auto parts store

yes they are very repairable.

> I hope I word this correctly.  I've been considering, facing off the
> recessed area between the raised lip and seal. Then pressing in an
> Aluminum disk that would be higher in the center causing water to drain
> away from the shaft. Then replacing that top seal with one using a
> "raised lip"  so there would be no place for water to collect.

yes that would work, maybe rather than aluminium perhaps turning an
oiled nylon seal carrier / interface if that makes sense.

Anyway thread successfully hijacked, sorry Mika, the photo I promised
will be done tomorrow in daylight.

Regards Paul

73 de Paul GW8IZR IO73TI