Re: [TowerTalk] 300 MHz Remote Switch

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 300 MHz Remote Switch
From: Ian White GM3SEK <>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:02:09 +0000
Pete Smith wrote:
>Recently, on a whim, I bought one of these
>thinking it might be possible to use it to switch beverages at a point
>about 250 feet from my house.  I knew, of course, that the little
>hand-held remote couldn't possibly reach that far, but thought maybe I
>could cobble something up.
>Looking at it, I'm impressed by the relay assembly, which seems very
>sturdily made.  Is there any possibility, through the use of antenna
>improvements on both ends, that I might be able to get the range of the
>thing up to what's necessary, or would I be better off just modifying
>the relay assembly as a wired switch.

For a receive-only setup, you could easily run the 315/433MHz control
signal up the coax, along with 12V DC power and the returning signals
from the Beverages. A few inches of wire threaded under the shield braid
at each end of the coax (like the old Monimatch) should make a good
"launcher" and "catcher", and the coax link should deliver far stronger
signals than over the air between antennas.

73 from Ian GM3SEK