Re: [TowerTalk] SWR Problem Balun or lightning protection?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SWR Problem Balun or lightning protection?
From: Tony <>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 00:12:41 -0500

I bypassed the lghtning protection and the SWR problem is still there. I
installed a new coax connector on the shack side of the coax as well.

I still have to check the balun, balun leads and the coax-to-balun
connector. There's nothing else inline. The coax (Bury Flex) and balun
(3KW M2) were installed a few years ago.

I just checked the system again with two different 100 watt rigs and
found that:

- I can transmit for 2 or 3 minutes from a cold start before the SWR
starts to rise
- the SRW returns to normal 30 seconds after I stop transmitting
- it takes a lot less time for the SWR to rise after the 30 second rest

I did replace the ground wires with copper strap a few months ago, but I
haven't made any other changes to the tower and antenna system.

Why do these things always happen during the winter ;  )

Tony, K2MO