Re: [TowerTalk] Motorizing a Hazer

To: "'dave arruzza'" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorizing a Hazer
From: "Jim Walker" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:46:07 -0600
I motorized my hazer.

I use a Harbor Freight electric lift.  One of their less expensive units.  I
believe it has a 800 capacity and on sale it was less than $100.

I mounted the lift at the bottom of the tower using U-bolts securing the
lift to the tower legs.

Most of the lift extends outside the tower with the cable spool in the
middle of the tower legs.  The cable extends up to the heavy duty pulley and
down to the hazer just like it would if a hand crank winch was being used.

It works perfect.  I haven't had to crank my hazer in years.  My only
challenge is protecting the motor and other moving parts from the weather.
Last time I cranked it down, I had to free the shaft with a crescent wrench.