Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: Rik van Riel <>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:53:51 -0500
On 12/27/2011 01:22 PM, Mike Ryan wrote:
> Rather than have to guy wire one of my two verticals at my qth, I stood one
> up within the branches of a 20ft or so tall tree in front of my house. It
> helps disguise it as well. It is an HF2V that kicks but. The last thing I
> ever worried about was a little absorption on HF. If this were a VHF/UHF
> vertical, that would be another story. On HF? I doubt there is a lot of
> difference.  - Mike

Some people apparently have noticed a lot of difference.

However, in this thread the person who noticed the most
difference, also had the tallest & widest trees...

I imagine a wider tree not only captures more radiation,
it also has a lower resistance to ground.

Likewise, a smaller tree will probably have a higher
resistance to ground, while radiation of even shorter
wavelengths will go around it easily.

I do not know if my thoughts correspond to reality, but
this thread seems to have caught enough people's attention
that we may be able to figure this out together...

All rights reversed.