Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a metal roof/Direct TV
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 00:22:32 -0500
On 12/27/2011 7:14 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
> Wow, what bad luck.  I would also be interested in a satellite TV protection
> device.  I imagine that lightning would hit the tower instead of the dish,
> but it wouldn't hurt to have some added protection.

If it's either Dish Network, or Direct TV they should have the devices
available and might even install them. They should have installed one
when they installed the dish.  Mine has a two coax grounding block which
was right by the dish, but when I moved the dish to the 45G I put the
grounding block about 5' off the ground on one tower leg.  That should
suffice unless the TV set is very close to the dish. Then I'd add an ICE
protector to each coax assuming you have two like my system.

BTW my shop is similar to your roof. I do not have a metal roof, but the
entire interior of the shop is bonded barn metal. It is grounded to the
common ground where the cables come in the shop. I have NEMA metal boxes
inside and outside at these entrances which are connected via 2 or 3"
steel conduit.  They are bolted together with through bolts as well as
the nuts on the conduit.  Those nuts are tack welded to the conduit and
to the boxes on both sides. The ground able also attaches to both
boxes...or did. I have one of the boxes off at present.

73

Roger (K8RI)