Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: "Jim Chaggaris" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:29:26 -0600 (CST)

" A vertical is not a great antenna on 40m"
 Best Regards,

Jim N9WW

James Chaggaris
PowerOne Corp./PowerOne Environmental
1020 Cedar Avenue
Suite 203
St. Charles, IL 60174
Phn: (630) 443-6500
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 15:53:20 +0000 (GMT)

My FYI tale of vertically polarized antennas and trees.

I have always lived in very heavily wooded areas and have always used
polarized antennas on the top of crankup towers. They clear the tops of
the trees, but not all. They work REALLY WELL (I have an outstanding QTH)

Wanting to "save rotor time," while contesting (with my 402CD), I put up a
vertical). It hangs from a tree. It is "full size" and has full sized
elevated radials. My hope
was that it would be louder than my 2L 40 when the 40 was pointed at EU (50
from NNJ) when I heard a new mult from the south (zone 8, 9, etc). The
of the GP
is about 20 feet above ground (and so are the radials, but they slope down
somewhat). It
was to be my "multiplier" antenna.

That was not the case. The elevated vertical (GP) is always "weak" compared
the 2L
40, even when the yagi is pointed at EUR and I'm comparing to the South.
The 40m yagi is at about 80 feet.

Now, I would expect the yagi to be louder to EUR as compared to the GP, but
to CA/SA, which, at best, is off the back corner of the beam when beaming

The GP vertical element is supported by the trunk of the tree, so it is
next to" the
tree trunk.

de Doug KR2Q