Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:57:31 -0800
On 12/30/11 12:44 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 8:40 PM, David Jordan wrote:
>> I've been lectured to that just putting up an antenna and trying it out is
>> not a good practice... one should first read and learn learn learn.

Naah...

I'm a big fan of "go try it" but perhaps with some thought ahead of
time. And if the weather is bad, or you've got other things to do, then
a bit of analysis isn't amiss..

Having gone through all this over the last couple days, I've been
thinking about how to actually go out and test it. I'm thinking about
balloons and battery powered transmitters in the middle of a dipole, or
hanging it from a 40 foot pole or something.  I could order a cheap
clock oscillator for something like 14.1 MHz or 7.05 MHz, run it off a
9Vto 5V or 3.3V regulator, use a resistive pad and drive a not
necessarily resonant dipole.  Head on down to the local park where
there's a variety of trees of different kinds.  Some friends could make
the received power measurements.

And, given the modeling and calculations, those power measurements are
going to have to be fraction of a gnat's eyelash.  Actually, what I
would look for is that there's ANY discernable difference (because I
don't expect any.. measuring a 1% difference in power is difficult)

(actually, what I'd really like is some kid who needs a good science
project to do the tedious measurement work.. but that's because I'm
sitting here lazy and full from holiday overeating)