[TowerTalk] FAA & Towers

Subject: [TowerTalk] FAA & Towers
From: William Hein <>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:35:24 -0700
To Jon W4ABC --

Actually I don't think they are using my house to line up the runway.  My house
is closer to perpendicular to the runway than inline.   I saw the same plane
land today (didn't look in time to see if it went over my house) and noticed
that it continued east past the runway did a big turn and came around and
landed heading roughly west.   Assume this is to take advantage of the wind?

My distance from the runway has come up in this thread.  Going from Google Maps
my house is 5.5-km to the closet part of the runway approx.

I appreciate all the info and advice.  TowerTalk is a great crowdsourcing

73 & HNY

William Hein, AA7XT

AMSAT Life Member
ARRL Life Member
UKSMG Member

1st W to OH0 QSO on 6m
1st North America to Asia QSO on 60m
Founder of TopBand email reflector

Tel   +1 (970) 628-5120
Loc:  DM59pa
AIM / iChat / iMessage
Skype   williamhein
find me on Facebook & Four Square

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 20:06:34 -0500
From: Jon Pearl - W4ABC <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FAA & Towers, continued

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, Bill but I think due to the
barren landscape surrounding the strip, pilots are using your house to
help line up for final.  It's a great navaid for them but may be
problematic for both of you when the tower goes up.  When it's all said
and done, you'll no-doubt get your tower up with the FAA's blessing but
you may light it for some piece of mind.

Keep us updated.

Jon Pearl - W4ABC