Re: [TowerTalk] Pattern Distortion caused by faulty balun?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pattern Distortion caused by faulty balun?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 10:35:24 +0000
Jim,

I frequently talk to folk who question the utility of CM chokes at the
antenna feedpoint. I find that one or more of the following questions
usually helps them "see the light":

1. Would you intentionally connect an additional, random length, antenna
wire to one side of your dipole and ground the other end?
2. Might you expect Tx RFI problems if the other end of that additional
antenna wire comes close to your TV/Computer/'Phone, and is connected to
a common ground?
3. What would you expect to happen to Rx noise levels if the other end
of that additional antenna wire comes close to your TV/Computer/'Phone,
and is connected to a common ground?
4. What would happen to the radiation pattern of a beam if you connected
an additional wire to one side of the feedpoint, made the wire a
multiple of a half-wave long, and connected the other end to a good ground?

It only requires the realisation that the outer surface of the coax
braid can - and does - act as an "unintentional" antenna wire to see the
wisdom of using a choke.

Have a happy and peaceful 2012,
Steve G3TXQ