Re: [TowerTalk] Propane Soldering Irons ??

To: k3mm@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Propane Soldering Irons ??
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 20:40:05 -0800
k3mm@verizon.net wrote:
> This is the one I use on the tower. This is the only one I've used that's
> up to the job for PL259 shields and antenna wires on the tower. Their
> smaller ones are fine for light duty jobs.
>

>  http://masterappliance.com/jumself.html

Soldering irons, this one included, run on butane, not propane.

As K3MM says, this is the one for the big jobs.  Lots of power.
I have worn out several of these.  It is difficult and expensive
to get spare parts, so I ended up buying a new one eventually
instead of trying to keep an old one going.  The catalyst wears out,
or the igniter wears out, or the microtube clogs.  It is somewhat
tricky to ignite them; you have to adjust the butane properly, and
it varies with how much butane is in the tank.  When ignited, it
glows, but it is hard to see the glow in sunlight.  (I made over
5,000 solder connections with these irons).  They are not perfect,
but I haven't found anything to replace them.  They are not cheap,
figure on over $100.

Rick N6RK