Re: [TowerTalk] Outdoor soldering

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Outdoor soldering
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 02:51:31 -0500
On 1/4/2012 12:18 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> That is an OLD (1970s) version. The newer D550s are only 260/200 watts.
> Weller also makes a D650, now which is 300/275 as I remember.  I have the

I've hauled a lot of "long" extension cords up towers, but I've found
that even with the big Wellers you are likely to need a shield to keep
the solder area draft free or at least minimize it.  Even as large as
the gun is, the tip just isn't massive enough to transfer enough heat to
the PL259 barrel to melt solder on a cold day. That PL250 is so big it
radiates the heat faster than you can pump it in on a really cold and
windy day.  I've found some days are just a lost cause and I might as
well wait for a bit of warmth and besides it's a lot more comfortable.

That and when you are cold and uncomfortable you are likely to hurry
and/or make mistakes. Then once the soldering is done, you still need to
weather proof the connection which can be darn near impossible with the
temp is down in the single digits. Course that's miserable to work in too.

The last day of finishing up my first installation of the 45G I was
wearing 3 layers of cold weather clothes. Still, when I got down, I
asked my wife to fill the tub with just slightly warm water. That's
cooler than most of us find comfortable. Why? Because my legs were so
cold I could not feel the temperature of the water and could have easily
burned myself.  After about 15 to 20 minutes in the cool to warm water I
started bringing up the temp.  Those are the kind of days where
soldering at 100 feet is pretty much a lost cause<:-))

  I need to get another big Weller. I don't know where the old one went.
I don't remember if I loaned it out or gave it to my son, or left it
some where.  You don't need a gun of that size very often. Maybe a
couple times a year, but they are  good for PL259's as I'm a firm
believer in a hot iron, get in fast, don't stay, and get out quick.

73

Roger (K8RI)