Re: [TowerTalk] Mastrant Rope ? guy wire ?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mastrant Rope ? guy wire ?
From: K8RI <>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 19:34:49 -0500
>   From where many radio stores get their rope...
> Mouse down "Han Radio Antenna Support Rope"

I have to agree with others.  I'd not use it for guying except on small
towers and I'd inspect it regularly.  I have 5 runs up the 45G to pull
up the wire antennas. so, yes I do use it as "antenna support rope".   I
have used a lot of double braid rope like this from various sources and
although I really work the stuff and have it temporarily guying a *bare*
40 feet of 25 G I'd not want to use it as a permanent guy system for
anything over 40 or 50 feet and I'd double the number of guys. IE even
at 40 or 50 feet I'd have 2 sets of guys. One to the top and one set
down 10 to 15 feet and I'd use the 5/16" or 7/16".  If I'm going to use
synthetic guy line I'm going to use Phillystran of the proper strength.
I already have the HPTG21001 and fittings for the 25G once the
installation is done.   1/8" Phillystran is more expensive but it's 3
times as strong for the same size rope.  To equal the HPTG 21001's 2100#
working strength I'd have to go all the way to the 7/16" rope and that's
its *calculated* breaking strength, not working strength.

In my opinion, It's great rope, but not for guying towers.  I'd also
check with Davis, The Wireman, and other sources for a comparison.  Ask
Steve at Davis what he thinks.

Roger (K8RI)