Re: [TowerTalk] How to get another 10' in height? Add a mast or add anot

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to get another 10' in height? Add a mast or add another section?
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 06:14:48 -0500
John:  The extra ten foot section of 45 will be MUCH stronger than any
mast you can put up there......I don't have the Dave Leeson book handy
as I write this, but memory tells me the 45 section will be like 3 times
stronger than a mast, assuming you don't go higher than Rohn specifies
for a free standing tower ie about 30 feet above the top guy.  I have a
rotating tower just as you describe.  I did put a mast in the top 2
sections (belt and suspenders approach) by buying 2 rotor plates and
using Rohn 2" mast clamps from an HBX tower on the bearings and locked
the mast so it will not turn.  (same hole pattern as a TB3).  My common
boom 2 el 30 2 el 40 sits 17 feet above the top guy ring, with a BIG
yagi just above the top guy ring.   73 bob de w9ge