Re: [TowerTalk] 1026 DOM mast material

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1026 DOM mast material
From: "Eugene Jensen" <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:39:51 -0500
I didn't want to bore the group with all the details but the first thing is
the  surface prepare work. I ran a wire wheel down the entire length, a
double coat of primer  and a double coat of paint. Since we had close to a
gal of each left over  we cap the one end and poured both in turn down the
center. It dried real quick and it now 15 years later and both it and the
switchgear  building that this paint was used on still look like the day it
was painted. On my big Rohn SSMW I was missing 3 internal bracket and I made
them primed them with good old Rustoleum  Professional Primer and that was 5
years ago and it didn't get painted and it looks good. My Grandfather 50
years ago hammered into my head paint will not stick to anything unless you
take time to prepare the surface. It was true then and it still true. The
top A-frame reducer and the steel ladder's  that I built and was welded was
hot-dipped  Gav. At a cost of $1000.00. It look good too, but if I did it
today I would paint them with Inron which is a whole lot cheaper.
As far as which is better is a $$$  decision.   No doubt in my mine Zinc is
always the way to go. You have to fine a buddy with a long boat trailer and
haul to the plant and pick it up. Cost off the top ,of my head and this is
an outdated guess anywhere between .20-.30 per lbs to dip.  Have fun and the
best of good luck however you go. 73 Gene K2QWD