Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?

To: "'richard@karlquist.com'" <richard@karlquist.com>, Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 17:45:37 -0500
>There is a semantic misunderstanding here about the meaning of "insertion
>loss".  Everyone on this reflector seems to think it refers to dissipation
>loss.  It doesn't, as commonly used by connector vendors.  Instead it refers
>to what is more precisely called "transducer loss" or S21 in terms of S
>parameters.  In a PL259 at 30 MHz, the transducer loss is almost all in the
>form of "mismatch loss", which is a theoretical number and does not produce
>any physical heat.  Thus 0.3 dB insertion loss basically means 0.3 dB mismatch
>loss, or something like 6% reflected power.

Could you please explain that to me?

This sounds like like a discussion on another forum recently where a fellow
asserted that an SWR more than 1:1 would insure that not all power is
transferred to a transmision line.  As near as I could tell, it sounded
something like power factor (which, as a DC and digital logic guy, still
mystifies me).

Al
AB2ZY