Re: [TowerTalk] Full vs mini sized tribanders

To: John Geiger <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Full vs mini sized tribanders
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:03:39 -0500
Quoting John Geiger <>:

> How do the mini sized 2 element tribanders like the Cushcraft MA5B
> and Mosley Mini 32 compare to a full sized 2 element like the Mosley
>  TA32 and HyGain TH2?

They will have less bandwidth for a given SWR limitation and a bit less gain.

> Do they give up much in performance when they  reduce the element size?

'much' is a relative quantity.  Your 'much' might be different from MY 'much'.

> They have the same boom length as the full  sized models-and the
> MA5B actually has a longer boom than the TA32  and TH2?

The longer boom is the method used in an attempt to widen the
bandwidth for SWR as noted above.

> I had a MA5B once and thought it did a pretty good job,  and it was
> nice to get the WARC bands with it.

Any antenna will 'work' on the WARC bands ... depends on what 'work'
means to you.

I use a "full-sized" tri-bander, but prefer monobanders.

Different strokes for different folks.