[TowerTalk] More questions - wired wireless antenna switch

To: TowerTalk <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More questions - wired wireless antenna switch
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:54:03 -0500
This is further on the subject of the 315 MHz 8-position
remotely-controlled switch that I'm trying to adapt to switch my RX
antennas.  I have the two "couplers" rigged to couple the VHF to the
feedline and pick it off at the other end.  However in examining the
relay unit I see that the antenna for the receiver is a 13-turn coil of
~#24 hookup wire wound roughly to 3/8" ID.  It seems to me that such a
coil might have a fairly high reactance at 300 MHz, and yet when I use
the unit in open air, the relay unit switches reliably out to about 200
feet, so it can't be too bad as an antenna.  My simple-minded question
-- should I uncoil the antenna and see if it can reach the whole 300
feet without coupling to the coax?  If I'm using the "wired-wireless"
method, should I uncoil it before connecting the free end to the
coupling loop?  The loop, per earlier advice, is about a 1" length of
hookup wire laid next to the center conductor of the coax (shield removed).

Thanks for any advice.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
The Reverse Beacon Network at, blog at,
spots at, port 7000