Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?
From: Ian White GM3SEK <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:24:01 +0000
Jim Brown wrote:
>I can show you N-connectors that are junk. Further, N-connectors on
>some cables are well known to suffer from "creep," whereby the center
>pin recedes back into the cable, no longer making contact with the
>mating connector.

Or even worse, the centre pin pushes *forward* and breaks the center pin
of the fixed socket. That can easily happen with some types of cable,
and then you have a rig to repair - or worse still, say goodbye to an
expensive coaxial relay.

Been there, seen that, which is why I will NEVER AGAIN buy any connector
with a floating (plain parallel sided) center pin!

The "improved" N and BNC connectors with a captive, self-locating center
pin and a compression cable clamp are well worth the extra money.

>This cannot happen with the UHF family of connectors.

That large, fixed center pin is about the only thing they did get right

73 from Ian GM3SEK