[TowerTalk] Sealing coax connectors

To: "\[TowerTalk\]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sealing coax connectors
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:13:35 -0800
Jim,

(I took the liberty of using a new subject for my response to this item in your
posting in the "PL259 insertion loss" thread.)

> ##  and don't forget to use dow corning dc-4/5 on all the connectors,
> including threads, pins, and center females.  The 7-16 is clearly
> the connector of choice for the bigger coax cables  [ it's ur only real
> choice].   For the smaller cables, like 213-U, and LMR-400, the
> UHF QUALITY silver/teflon connectors are plenty good enough.  Type N for any
> size cable is a pita.  Odd ball connectors like C...and also
> LC connector's are going out of vogue.
>
> Later... Jim  VE7RF

Jim,

I havent used a silicone sealant in my connectors before but the Dow Corning
silicone sounds like a good plan.  For outside connectors I wrap
 with Scotch 2228 self sealing  tape, then wrap with scotch 88 tape, then
finally brush on Scotch Coat.  This has worked well for outside connectors,
taking the connectors apart later on they are always nice and shiny.  I will
try the Dow Corning silicone before the tape treatment.
  One question though, can the connector be taken apart, cleaned up and reused
after using the silicone ?  I normally wouldn't reuse the connectors
but if they were new connectors it would be nice to be able to tie into the
connector again, for instance adding on a longer section of coax.
 (I'm talking about the threaded connection, not taking them apart and
resoldering)

Bob
K6UJ