Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Fed tower question

To: RLVZ@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Fed tower question
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:57:01 -0500 (EST)
Hello Dick, your numbers are telling you that the feed point is already
inductive. A series capacitance of 344 ohms should cancel the inductance and
result in a very low vswr at the frequency of your test.

That comes out to be about 250 pF. The voltage rating will be related to
the rf power used. At 1500w, there will be 5.4 amps through the capacitor and
 that would produce an rf voltage of 1865 volts rms. Peak voltage will be
about  2650 so a well rated capacitor would be needed. If made adjustable,
the voltage  will go well above that number while tuning.

Sounds like a nice antenna!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/17/2012 5:35:09 P.M. Central Standard Time,