Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Preamp or In the Shack

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <>, "TowerTalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote Preamp or In the Shack
From: "Dan Schaaf" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:33:36 -0500
My take on this has always been, if the atmospheric noise can be heard in
the radio, above the inherent radio noise ( with no antenna connected )
then you don't need a preamp. The preamp will amplify the noise as well as
the signal.
My FT-2000 has 2 preamps that can be switched in/out and generally, on 160
meters I do not need an additional preamp . But, I do have one in the shack
in line with the coax that can be switched in/out just in case.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created
them." - Albert Einstein