Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole fed with balanced line
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:37:24 -0500
On 1/21/2012 9:54 PM, Jim Miller Waco Texas WB5OXQ wrote:
> Thanks to all who answered my question about this antenna.  I ordered a kit
> from DX Engineering with 135' of wire and 100' of window line.  This might
> not be the best but at 49.95 How wrong can you get.  I could not buy all the
> individual parts any cheaper.
> I will use all 135' of wire since I have 139' between support poles and I
> have a tree in the middle which will allow me to raise the center of the wire
> to around 40'.  There is no way to get it any higher so that will have to do.
> I wonder if this antenna will try to load up on 6 meters?  I wonder if the
> MT-3000A will work at that frequency.  The manual makes no mention on 6
> meters.  My Clipperton L does not work on 6 either but the TS-2000 does have
> 6 meters and perhapps a combination of the Dentron tuner and the internal
> tuner I can try 6.

Better hurry: six was open for a short time today and there should be
Aurora tonight...or this week end.  There were two Coronal Mass
Ejections (CME's) on Thursday and we are centered right in their path.
Of course that means HF may not do much, but on VHF? Maybe.

I do miss my 7L at 115 feet.  Gotta find a climber soon.

>    I wonder if the antenna does load on 6 is its large size may be an
> advantage on 6 over a 6 meter dipole?  I have a 6 meter dipole up at 50'
> anyway, just wondering?
It will probably have some gain along the axis of the wire. IE gain off
the ends.
> My antenna kit is due in Tuesday but weather permitting i won't have time to
> try to get it up until next weekend.  This is going to be a new experience
> for me and I have been on the air since 1974 and never tiried this antenna.

73 and good luck on the antenna.

Roger (K8RI)