Re: [TowerTalk] crankups

To: "Michael Goins" <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] crankups
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:12:47 -0800
Michael Goins wrote:
> Finally have the tiltover winch mounted and ready, but now have an issue
> with the tower not wanting to lower fully. It's a HG-52-SS with the
> factory
> optional AC winch. No positive pulldown. Open to real and practical
> suggestions.
>
> Mike, k5wmg

Tie ropes onto the tower as high up as you can get them
and then have several people yank on them and wiggle the
tower.  Be sure to adjust the lift cable to have just the
slightest slack in it to the tower sections don't fall too
far.  I routinely do this to get my Hazer past one particular
spot where it always hangs up.  Having perfected this technique,
it is now just part of the Hazer lowering procedure.
No big deal.

To get a rope high up on the tower without climbing, mount
a big hook on the end of the rope and thread the rope through
30 feet of aluminum tubing.  You can then get the rope hooked
on a tower rung.  Pull back the tubing to use the rope, then
reinstall the tubing to get the hook off the tower.

Rick N6RK