Re: [TowerTalk] Tower lawsuit

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower lawsuit
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 07:56:58 -0800
On 2/4/12 7:23 AM, Ken wrote:

> Trees are different than something YOU erect.   If I were your neighbor and
> your tower fell on my property and caused damage, I certainly would expect
> YOU to pay for the damage.   Why should **I** pay for **your** failure?
> And, as has already been noted, if you have a defective tree and do not take
> care of it, you can be sued if it causes damage.

we also have millenia of experience with trees of all shapes and sizes
in all sorts of extreme weather conditions, so there's a fairly well
understood basis for estimating "what's reasonable to expect".

Towers have only been around a short time, there's fewer of them than
trees, etc.   So your local regulators don't have as much to go on from
a historical experience standpoint, so they rely on engineering
analysis, usually provided by the person asking for permission.