Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-555 Rotor Shelf

To: "Richard Zalewski" <>, "Towertalk" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-555 Rotor Shelf
From: "Steve Jones" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 09:48:37 -0800

When I ordered my HDX-589 I asked the US Tower structural engineer about
having them add a second thrust bearing and mounting the rotor plate lower
down.  He convinced me it wasn't a good idea.  The tube at the top is
intended to hold the mast if you ever need to remove the rotor for
maintenance.  Adding a second thrust bearing would increase the capacity of
the top section to hold a longer mast, but that would overload the rest of
the tower.  So there's not much to be gained with the second TB.